Impact Windows and Insurance Premium Discount
Impact Windows and Insurance Discount. This is another benefit for installing impact windows and doors in your home. Under the Florida 2015 Statutes Chapter 627, the state continues to makes insurance providers offer discounts to customers who have implemented wind mitigation techniques that will lower the damages to the property due to windstorms.
It is the intent of the Legislature that insurers provide savings to consumers who install or implement windstorm damage mitigation techniques, alterations, or solutions to their properties to prevent windstorm losses. (627.0629 Residential property insurance; rate filings.) See more information about Impact Windows and Insurance Discounts
Each insurance provider offers its own discounts and to qualify, improvements need to meet the state building code regulations. So what you should do first is, after you install your impact windows and doors, contact your insurance company and ask an agent what is the process to qualify for insurance premium discounts in Florida after protecting all the openings in your home.
Impact Windows and Doors Qualify for Insurance Discount
Protecting your home from windstorms is very important if you live in Florida. Enjoying the peace of mind that comes from knowing you and those you love are protected, is priceless. In the event of a severe hurricane or storm, impact windows will protect your home from wind damage. Homeowners insurance providers will give you a discount when it comes to impact windows and doors because they protect your home against wind damage. Here are some wind mitigation features that qualify for Impact Windows and Insurance Discounts:
- Doors and windows built to withstand high wind loads and projectiles, ex: impact resistant windows and doors.
- Roofing materials that protect your home from wind and/or rain.
- Special products used to prevent walls or roofs for being blown away by windstorms.
- Roof and building shapes that are more resistant to high winds.
Obtaining Insurance Discounts
Citizens is one of the top homeowner insurance provider in Florida. So I decided to use it as an example. According to their wind mitigation policy, insurance premium discounts need to meet the following standards when it comes to windows and doors:
- You need to provide a wind mitigation inspection report.
- The mitigation techniques chosen must cover all openings of the property.
- Discounts don’t apply to mobile homes.
- The discount only applies to the windstorm damage part of your policy.
- Must comply with the current Florida Building Code.
Impact Windows and Insurance Discount
If you are not sure how to proceed, it is always best to contact your insurance company and ask them what you will need to do in order to qualify. You can also contact us directly and we will be very happy to answer any questions you might have about our impact resistant windows and doors.